So I know this is literally a little morbid. But we woke up this morning and found Nick's beta fish dead in the tank. This is Nick's first real (although small) exposure to death and what it really means to die. I wasn't quite sure how to handle things. I explained to Nick that we could see that the fish was not swimming around and that he wasn't moving any more. That meant that he had died. We needed to get rid of the body because the fish's spirit was not here anymore but in heaven. I then had him help me flush the toilet with the fish to dispose of the body. He seemed okay with this explanation, but ask me to reexplain about five times. Why did the fish have to go in the toilet? I don't know if I said or explained it well enough for him to understand, or if he can comprehend at all what death is. I hope that he will remain innocent for awhile anyway.
When I chose to have children, I really didn't think about the questions and the situations like this down the road that I would have. I forgot that it can be a little uncomfortable at times. I guess this will go down as a learning experience for mom.
On the other hand, Nick and Nate were cracking me up the other night. I had ask them to get ready for bed, and they had managed to pull off their clothes but not get their p.j.s on yet. So they were clad in very little running about the house singing at the top of their lungs, "you better watch out, you better not cry, you better not pout, I'm telling you why...Santa Clause is coming to Utah!" I sure do love my kids.
Introducing
11 years ago



No comments:
Post a Comment